Saturday 5 October 2013

The Secret Life of Google





Everyone knows Google, and utilise it and its tools in someway or another. A Google tool is something that allows usage of its services online that could help you in your daily life. And here are a list of 5 Google Tools that you may or may not know! I personally found the tools really entertaining (yes, I know they are supposed to be useful and not for my own fun, but it was!), and took up most of time trying each of them!



  • Google Translate (the tool that I love!!!) 






This has to be my favorite tool that I found out recently! Other than Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Trends! There are absolutely nothing you can not translate using Google Translate, and during my trip to Bangkok, I really utilised Google Translate till the maximum (as they have a smartphone version as well!) and was trigger happy with the app. I translated almost everything, from "washroom" to "fried chicken wings". The best part about having Google Translate is not just translating the words in to read-only format, they even have a voice-over! That will read out the words to you, and you will be able to speak to the local Thai people! How cool is that?

Here is a video that will teach you how to work Google Translate if you are too lazy to Google it!






  • Google Ngram Viewer

Credits to treehugger.com

If you want to search for trends over time, for users who are more advanced, the Ngram vieewer allows you to search for keywords in books over the time span of half a millennium. They have better options as well, as such searching for particular keywords as specific parts of speech or combining keywords. 
I taught this to my parents, since they are really interested in finding out about the trends of the Internet because they are looking for viable trends before their decision of settin up a website.
  • Google Correlate
blog.ineedhits.com 

Similar to Google Trends (which is just below), Google Correlates allows you to look at search trends on the internet over time. For example, you can input the word "blogshops" and you will see the increase in blogshops search in the recent few years as compared to 6 years back. You can do something fun as well! Which is search by its Drawing Functuon, and Google Correlate will give you the keywords results based on your graph creation. 
I found this to be more entertaining than the rest, mainly because there is the drawing function! I found that however ridiculous are the graphs I drew, they are still able to come up with a keyword result!
  • Google Trends
www.mediabistro.com

With Google Trends you are able to look at popular searches, and you are able to browse by date, and look at top searches that are in different categories in its Top Charts functions. There is Explore function as well, where you can input a search terms and see the specific time and location where the search occured. You can even view it in full colored format. This is very similar to the second and third tool, and my parents were super excited with it *eyeroll* and got to using it for the whole day straight!


  • Google Fonts

Google Fonts offers open source web fonts for all to use privately or commercially. As of now, there are 629 font families available. Filter fonts by thickness, slant, width and script.
Google Fonts has to be my second new favorite tool! It offers open source web fonts for everyone to use either privately of commercially, and as of now, there are 629 fonts available for use. You can have different thickness, slant, width, and script. However, I really haven't mastered this well enough since I couldn't change the font of this post to what I intended to get from this tool. Oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment